25 May 2016 – 00:00
As the group prepared to set off to the location marked on the map Anni had recovered, Anni received a group SMS from a work college. It was a link to a news article talking about a video of some nutjob telling of the impending end of the world, denouncing man and his polluting ways. Apparently, the hashtag #HomelessProphet had been trending on Twitter, growing in popularity as the weather has turned totally nuts in sync with his predictions.
“People of Seattle,” The homeless-looking man in the video began, “I came to you in previous nights to you to tell you of a great corruption that lies at the heart of our society, a sickness that we dismiss as ‘normal’. I warned you of the corporations that use you as unwitting pawns in their plans to corrupt and pollute these lands.”
“I also told you of the great storm that would sweep our city, to cleanse it of its filth. I said that you would turn upon each other, desperate to cling upon the lie that has been fed to you by those that would benefit from your continued suffering.” He continued.
“I warned that a reckoning was coming and of the choice that each of you would have to make.” He said, pausing.
“That reckoning has come.” He said, flatly.
“Mother Sea has looked upon our unending greed, our propensity to corrupt and pollute our lands, and has judged us unworthy. Tonight the sea will swallow the earth and wash away our corruption.”
“You now have a choice: stay and be washed away with the corrupted, or flee the city to the mountains and wait out the storm. Make your decision quickly, for Mother does not sit idle.”
Chris seemed to consider taking the man up on his offer but was quickly told to think otherwise. Now with their need for urgency ever more apparent, the group embarked towards their destination.
As the ship crashed through the waves, the crew and passengers of the Cassandra clutched on precariously. All around them, water swelled as the storm raged on. With nought a landmark in sight, direction seemed to lose all meaning to the group of mages, but Captain Oakley seemed unfazed. With unflinching determination, he turned the ship to plough through the waves, somehow keeping his small, almost derelict boat intact and unharmed.
But then, at the climax of the storm, the group sensed a looming, ancient presence pass under the ship. Abigail and Anni caught brief glimpses of a dark mass beneath the waves, and an ominous, red glowing light. Suddenly a massive wave crashed upon the boat, sending those aboard reeling. The next moment the mages found themselves overboard, gasping for breath as their world was swallowed by darkness…
- Abigail. From what I heard of that lunatic who spoke, it seems he was someone who was really crazy. Oh well, nothing much to think about there, all it does is confirm what we’re up against and that we’re against the clock… Well, that was until I saw something underneath the sea as we were travelling before I could tell anyone else though, we were overboard just like that.
- Anni. May 25, 2016: This fanatic sounds a lot like the leviathan cult. Either way, he is threatening too many people to be allowed to continue. If it turns out we are not on our way to deal with him, he will need to be dealt with when we finish our current catastrophe. Something, unnaturally large went under the ship. I hope that we are not too late.
As the group came to their senses, they each found themselves shipwrecked alone on a non-descript, cold, stony beach. A thick, menacing fog clung to the shoreline but, strangely, the storm seemed to have abated to nothing more than a cold, persistent drizzle. A faint but perceptible sensation of magic seemed to linger in the area, but of the mages, Abigail alone was able to sense the spatial distortions present.
What followed was a series of illusions meant to torment and demoralise the group, as each mage found themselves hunted by a strange, grey-skinned entity and witnessed visions of their companions’ corpses. It seemed that here time and space lost all meaning.
When Anni fought back against her attacker and almost killed it, she quickly discovered that it had been Tony she had been attacking all along.
Then, as soon as it had begun, the group found themselves pulled from the false reality back into darkness.
- Abigail. Ugh, I can’t really explain what happened… Basically I had a feeling about the spatial distortions around me…from me most likely maybe. There was this really ugly, grey thing that jumped out of me. In a panic, I pulled out my gun and shot but it was just an illusion, just vanished on me…? I don’t know…after trying to get a fire going for myself I saw another one. I thought it was another illusion thing and knowing that it would just disappear, I watched it for a bit…this time it was physical though and it just stared at my feet for a bit and then ran… Afterwards, I saw Tony just laying their, I tried wake him but he was out cold and ugh…covered in this mucus like substance? Getting the fire closer to him to wait for him to wake when I was thinking about how to get food, water and proper shelter that he just shot up and grabbed me! Then it was just…dark.
- Anni. May 25, 2016: I was being attacked by a strange figure. I’m not sure why, as I didn’t do anything to them. Turns out it was some sort of a mental trick, and it was Tony that had attacked me. I still don’t really know why he did it, but I took him down in fairly short order. He looked hurt pretty bad, but he hasn’t said anything. I wonder if he doesn’t realize it was me?
25 May 2016 – 04:00
As their senses slowly returned to them, the mages felt strong arms lift them from the cold, wet sand where they lay. They drifted in and out of consciousness until eventually finding themselves waking to the sounds of a crackling fire.
Realising that they were awake, a gruff old man that had been watching over them introduced himself as Benjamin and told them what had happened: the four of them had been found washed ashore, barely breathing, by a pair of fishermen from the town. The group had then been brought here to his home to recover.
Benjamin seemed familiar with Abigail, greeting her as ‘Priestess’ and referring to ‘the Mother’. Apparently, Abigail had lived in the very house they were now in some forty years ago before she had mysteriously vanished.
As Abigail panicked at this turn of events, the scene around the mages seemed to flicker and shift. Within seconds the warm and inviting home had become a ruined, empty shell. The interior of the building matched the interior that they were just in, only much, much older.
Moving outside, the mages found the rest of the town was in a similar state, with the same dense fog from before blanketing the area. Abigail lead them onwards, and soon the group arrived at the remains of the old temple, once a proud structure built into the rockface, now a crumbled remains defeated by the constant thrashing of the elements.
As they moved inside, the scene flickered again as they found themselves amongst a congregation of townsfolk standing in hushed awe as they watched a massive stone statue unveiled before them. As the sheet fell from the statue, it was revealed to appear uncannily like Abigail.
Seeing this Anni swore, demanding to know what Abigail had done.
Abigail, however, had other thoughts on her mind as she spotted the Time Remnant standing at the head of the congregation, leading the proceedings. As the entire room turned to Abigail to bow before her, Abigail raised her pistol and fired at the man she blamed for all of this…
- Abigail. No, that was the last thing I wanted to hear when I woke up from that… Getting up and walking around, searching a bit around confirmed my fears that I came back… There was only one place I could go and that would be the temple. I know I have to stopped this mess that I made or I’m sure this will haunt me again, I’m going to end this and him too.
- Anni. May 25, 2016: Jesus. Every time I think Tracer is salvagable, I find out she has done something incredible reckless. We appear to be in a town where she is some sort of a religious figure. I keep pressing her for answers, but she has yet to give me a real answer as to what the hell this place is, and why people here seem to worship her in some way.