The Autumn Ball
22 September 2016 – 20:00
As was customary each year, on the night of the Autumn Equinox the Rainier Club held a formal ball. This year’s ball also celebrated the return of Mr Beaumont as Club Chairman, following his absence for several months.
As friends of Nate, the other members of the Cabal received personal invites to the event from Beaumont himself. Of the group, Adria, Helios, Aos, and Tartarus attending, although that latter did so more as a personal statement rather than any loyalty to the Rainier.
Once at the ball, the mages mingled amongst the crowd, brushing shoulders with the upper crust of Seattle’s social ladder.
Adria used this opportunity to search the minds of those in attendance and discovered several others with similar mental damage as Mr Conway. She also found three individuals with oddly unique mental signatures. Mr Beaumont and a Ms Meaux both had strong mental wards in place, shielding their thoughts from Adria, while a Mr Lidcombe had a most unusual mindset that set him apart from the rest of the crowd.
About halfway through the evening, there was the sudden sound of automatic gunfire as the Rainier Club was subject to a drive-by shooting. As a result, Mr Conway was killed, and several others were injured.
The cabal moved into action, some tending to the wounded while others sought to identify their attackers. Tartarus bound the ghost of Mr Conway to his Will and then used the spectre to pursue the gunmen. This allowed the mage to ascertain that the shooters as Russian mobsters and allowed Tartarus get a clear sketch of one of their faces, whom Adria would later identify as Viktor ‘Marrow’ Kuznetsov, the Russian mobster he had dealings with before.
During the chaos, Adria noted that Ms Meaux and Mr Lidcombe had vanished from the scene.
After the authorities had arrived and the group gave their statements, the cabal gathered in one of the private rooms to discuss the situation.
Hecate appeared shortly after that, following her meeting with Ashleigh regarding the mage’s encounter’s with the ‘Men in Black’.
The group decided that Adra and Helios would go deal with Viktor, while Hecate protected Mrs Conway and Aos would assist with the clean-up at the Club. Tartarus regrettably informed the others that he had another meeting that he had to attend.
- Adria. September 22, 2016: I did find a few interesting people at the party. But then the gunfire errupted. I did what I could to get people behind cover. In the end, Mr. Conway was dead, having caught a round. Tartarus said he had a drawing of the man who did the shooting, and it was Viktor. I thought I had made my stance on innocent victims clear to him during our last encounter. I will refresh his memory. Begin Investigations: Mr Beaumont, Ms Meaux, Mr Lidcombe. All of them have unnatural mind barriers, and could be involved in the wrongdoings there.
- Hecate. Met up with Ashleigh tonight, a really good friend of mine. I don’t want to give away that I’m a mage to her but she’s probably my only somewhat credible lead to try and find who those men in black were on that day… I feel like I could cause a paradox but I’d rather not do that for them to show up so… she’s agreed after some persuasion to lead me to some guy soon. I headed to the Rainier Club after seeing a report on the TV and then I was told to protect Mrs Conway, our client. Should be simple enough to do.
- Helios. My, the party was good fun. Except the whole shooting thing…that was not good or fun. Anyway, At least my good friend Mr. Beaumont is back on his feet and hosting parties as always. Now that I know him and all the guests are safe we can find out who were the shooters. We can thank God’s good graces that no one was seriously hurt from the shooting, except the doorman but I managed to save him. Why would anyone want to shoot at a party?
- Tartarus. Someone once said that the first step in moving the world, is finding a stable place to stand. Maybe that’s true, certainly it’s true that for Tartarus, moving an Officer of the Triads was best approached with a level head, and all his knowledge. It’s not that Cheng didn’t seem like a bad guy. He did. It’s more that, knowing what you don’t want is sometimes more important than knowing what you do want. Tartarus endured a fair bit of abuse, poor table manners and crappy dumplings to get it, but he came out with an important connection, a clear sense of victory, and some useful information for the Cabal. War was Coming.
- Aos. I can’t believe someone dared coming to our club and killed someone. The establishment is well over 100 years, maybe we made some enemies, but we also have very influential friends. Reputation aside, I really want to make sure we have extra security in place in the future. But to make it financially sustainable … I’m not sure. Can’t involve the police for these things.