Felix ‘Helios’ Goodfellow
Aliases Helios, Leo, Judgement
Refresh 1 (3 +2 Advancements +0 Bonus -3 Stunts -1 Condition)
Chivalrous Champion of the Light; Perfectly Oblivious; Unchaste Home Handyman; Divine Order; I Will Restore Faith in Humanity
- Evocation. In game terms, you may perform any of the four basic actions with spectacular magical effects such as defending with a shield of ice or creating an advantage by shifting earth beneath the opponent’s feet. Your actions may have scale (page 182) at the GM’s discretion. If desired, push yourself to increase the spell’s effect. These benefits are cumulative: if you mark two stress boxes and both conditions, you could do a single magical action at +8, and then have +2 to all magical actions for the rest of the scene.
- Check a stress box for +1 or two boxes for +2 on any one magical action. You may check only two boxes at a time.
- Mark Exhausted to add +4 to any single magical action or to attack multiple targets magically without dividing your roll (page 190).
- Mark Burned Out to gain +2 to all magical actions for the rest of the scene or, if Exhausted is already checked, to attack multiple targets with magic without having to divide your roll.
- Thaumaturgy. You excel at ritual magic (page 168). Add +2 to the preparation roll for any ritual.
- Soulgaze. When looking someone directly in the eye for more than a few seconds, you peer into their soul and they likewise see into yours. The exchange manifests itself as a cryptic vision. Make an Intellect roll, opposed by their Intellect roll; the winner learns one concrete, useful piece of information about the other individual, or two things if they succeed with style. On a tie, each person learns something. These things can be advantages with a free invoke at the GM’s discretion.
Additional Stunts (1+3)
- Barrier of Faith. Once per session, designate a zone as protected by a shield of faith. Anyone wishing to inflict harm within that zone must first overcome an obstacle versus your Force or Faithful approach to enter or leave the zone. Ranged attacks from outside the zone are not prevented.
- Dawnbringer, Blessed Hammer. Through a long and arduous ritual, Helios imbued his custom-made hammer with divine power. The enchantments allow the weapon to strike creatures in Twilight and grants +2 damage when striking creatures of supernatural darkness, or weak to light or fire.
- Divine Defender. Once per session you may elect to suffer the outcome of any attack inflicted on any character in your immediate presence, preventing it from befalling them. This harm is taken at the same value as the original recipient and you may not roll a separate defense.
- Right Place, Right Time. Once per session, you may announce your presence in the perfect place to help someone in need, ignoring usual limits of time, distance, or plausibility. If the GM elects to grant you a boost and subsequently take advantage of the situation, the stunt does not count as the once-per-session application.
Purviews. Light, Divinity, Healing, Truth, Justice, Fire, Warmth, Peace
Note: These are in addition to the standard ‘In Peril’, ‘Doomed’ and ‘Indebted’ Conditions, and the Spellcaster conditions ‘Exhausted’, ‘Burned Out’ and ‘The Third Eye’.
On a Mission from God (Sticky)
Check this condition when the Heavenly Host calls you to service or the sudden need arises for you to combat evil. While this condition is checked, you have an additional approach—Faithful at Superb (+5)—which is usable for any action directly contributing to your mission’s resolution. Actions using Faithful may have scale (page 182) at GM discretion. Recover this condition at mission conclusion.
Crisis of Faith (Sticky)
Check this condition if you significantly violate the tenets of your faith or misuse the power granted you. While this condition is marked, the Faithful approach and all stunts of this mantle are unavailable. Recover this condition after performing appropriate penance, per the GM.
Felix is a man of high morals, a kind heart and all-round handyman. He has spent many years developing various skills that he uses to the benefit of those around him. While his specialties are in carpentry and residential construction, he has delved out to numerous other talents. Got a creaky floor or broken kid’s toy? Felix can fix it. Got some heavy lifting or need a shoulder to cry on? Felix is there to help. Got a nasty supernatural being threatening to destroy the city? Don’t worry, because Felix is there to save the day. To top it off, he does all this while remaining respectful and virtuous.
Champion of the Light
They say even the smallest spark of light turns away the darkness, and Helios will always be that spark. His magic revolves heavily around the core sustenance of all life and the symbol of truth and His Holiness: light. As a result of this, Helios sees himself as a defender against the evils of the dark that aim to harm the innocent.
Can’t Resist a Challenge
Felix has always had difficulty saying no to requests from friends and obstacles. Whether it’s his chivalrous nature, his desire to help others or just sheer adrenaline, he has a long history of taking on challenges with little hesitation or thought of self-safety. While he’ll never intentionally do something that is against his morals, he has on few occasions started a challenge before considering the alternatives or consequences.
The Perfect Citizen
You know that one person who never breaks the law, is a friend to everyone, a well-known contributor to their community and an overall really nice person? That is Felix to the core. He shows a level of decency, helpfulness and accommodation that Captain America would be proud of. While he doesn’t force others to be the same or hate those less moral than him, Felix is always one to encourage such acts of citizenship and be there to lend a hand and represent as the model neighbour.
Helios’ awakening was nothing short of an intense light show of divine proportions. As the beams began to fade and leave behind a man burnt and exhausted beyond belief, he started to pass out. Once out, he was met by an angel who enlightened him on what had just befell on him and how it was God’s will that he received this gift so he could carry out any and all divine orders. Despite not being a religious man in the past or having concerns about what these divine orders would require him to do, Helios accepted his new role and woke up with no injuries or marks on his body from the ordeal.
I Will Restore Faith in Humanity
Throughout his life, Felix always believed in the best of humanity and that even the darkest of people do have a humane and tender side within them. This philosophy led him to become the all-friendly man he now is. While this had led to some abusing that side of him, Felix never let that sway his perception; instead he believed he just didn’t find the aspect of the person that reached to that humane nature. Now with as a mage, Helios has seen it as an opportunity to find out what can breach the dark evil within and outshine it to convert even the hardiest of criminals into philanthropists.
You did a job for Sam Weathers, and they didn’t keep up their end of the arrangement. What are you owed? What are you going to do next about that?
He was certainly an interesting guy, Sam. I first met him at the psychiatric rehabilitation clinic when I volunteered as a counselor for a few weeks. It’s always a rewarding experience helping those struggling with mental health and being their shoulder to lean on helps me see the true kindness and genuineness. Anyway, Sam was in one of my groups and was always showing great progress to recovery. I mean, we were told he was never going to be mentally stable enough to leave the place, but I always believe you let a person help and heal the community, they will help and heal themselves.
Then, one day, he promised me that if I put in a good word for his release from the clinic, he would not only seek help outside the clinic but would also help me every week in volunteer and charity works. So I did and he was released. Unfortunately, that was the last I heard from him. He just went to live in a trailer park and did not seek that help. I know where he is, but I believe he will find peace someday and make good on his promise. I will not force it, for it is his choice.
You heard interesting rumours about Nate ‘Ace’ Earley long before meeting them. Name one positive story. Name one unsettling or odd rumour.
One winter evening, while Mr. Beaumont and I were sharing stories over whiskey and cigars by the fireplace, he began telling about his family. From what he told me they are quite the unique bunch! From accountants to politicians to suburban house wives, it was amazing how much he knew about them all, but he always spoke with pride in his family.
One that particularly stood out to me was his nephew by the name of Nate, who’s charitable nature, strategic thinking and empathy for animals saved this wildlife charity from being shutdown due to bankruptcy and now he runs the place! Of course he did go on to mention Nate’s connection with the animals being a bit more than just empathy. Something about him spending much more time with the wolves than other humans to the point of trying to speak like they do. Mr. Beaumont was a little concerned about the boy’s sanity but shook away the worry with a hearty laugh and another story. It was a fun night for all.