Abigail 'Hecate' Thomson
Space-Time Manipulating Bodyguard
Refresh 3 (3 +2 Advancements +1 Bonus -3 Stunts -0 Condition)
Space-Time Manipulating Bodyguard; Struggling With the Past and Future; The World is a Dangerous Place; I Must Control My Magic; Allow No One to Witness Your Weakness
- Evocation. In game terms, you may perform any of the four basic actions with spectacular magical effects such as defending with a shield of ice or creating an advantage by shifting earth beneath the opponent’s feet. Your actions may have scale (page 182) at the GM’s discretion. If desired, push yourself to increase the spell’s effect. These benefits are cumulative: if you mark two stress boxes and both conditions, you could do a single magical action at +8, and then have +2 to all magical actions for the rest of the scene.
- Check a stress box for +1 or two boxes for +2 on any one magical action. You may check only two boxes at a time.
- Mark Exhausted to add +4 to any single magical action or to attack multiple targets magically without dividing your roll (page 190).
- Mark Burned Out to gain +2 to all magical actions for the rest of the scene or, if Exhausted is already checked, to attack multiple targets with magic without having to divide your roll.
- Thaumaturgy. You excel at ritual magic (page 168). Add +2 to the preparation roll for any ritual.
- Soulgaze. When looking someone directly in the eye for more than a few seconds, you peer into their soul and they likewise see into yours. The exchange manifests itself as a cryptic vision. Make an Intellect roll, opposed by their Intellect roll; the winner learns one concrete, useful piece of information about the other individual, or two things if they succeed with style. On a tie, each person learns something. These things can be advantages with a free invoke at the GM’s discretion.
Additional Stunts (1+3)
- Arcane Investigator. With GM permission, gain +2 to a simple overcome roll when casting a thaumaturgic spell specifically for the discovery of information.
- Bullet Time. Gain +2 to use Haste to defend.
- Enchanted Item: Silver Pocketwatch. Once per session, Abigail may use this pocketwatch to facilitate a stunt based on the manipulation of time.
- Well Connected. Because she is well connected, once per session Abigail can find a helpful ally in just the right place at just the right time.
Abigail after attempting magic a ton of times now feels that magic itself is a lot greater than it once was. Looking into it deeper with the help of her mentor, she sees it at a deeper level, a way to channel the limited amount of magical energy that exists within the world. Spells are made and fueled with this energy and that the Awakening is a phenomena that lets people utilize it.
Purviews. Space (Distance, Separation, Sympathy, Scrying), Time (Pre/Postcognition, Temporal Manipulation), Gravity, Magic/Mana Flow, Hallows, Resonance
Note: These are in addition to the standard ‘In Peril’, ‘Doomed’ and ‘Indebted’ Conditions, and the Spellcaster conditions ‘Exhausted’, ‘Burned Out’ and ‘The Third Eye’.
Abigail has no additional conditions.
Abigail formerly worked in both the army for many years each before the amount of internal conflict and corruption that she saw within made her resign from her job after serving her years, losing all faith in any sort of authority. Deciding that the only real thing she could do with her skill now is to be a mercenary for hire, taking any contract from her retainer so she could survive.
After almost falling from an apartment to her death from escaping an almost botched job, Abigail gained her magical powers through unconsciously rewinding back time, able to manipulate the time stream to her will (at least she believes it is through her own will). Her space powers were activated when she almost drowned to her death in a battle, the second time. Her space powers allow her to change space roughly in the same manner as she changes time.
Struggling With the Past and Future
Abigail hasn’t had a steady past and it constantly comes back to her. Currently thinking about her old ways in which she came to be now on top of the additional burden of her powers and the problems that come with it, she’s evaluating her life choices to this point and has become a lot more hesitant with any choice that she makes now. Her own self-confidence has severely diminished.
The World is a Dangerous Place
Abigail grew up in a place where she didn’t have much support as a child, having to fend for herself most of the time while her parents remained ignorant of her and that she grew up in a backwater, unsavory town. She constantly had to fend for herself, having to look out for threats as she was assaulted and bullied at a young age, though it made her trust people less, it helped her in terms of fighting and keeping on her toes. Her military training, after she ran away from home, honed those skills as well as working outside of the law.
I Must Control My Magic
Using more and more of her magic, Abigail has realised the consequences of her actions and continuous paradoxes that she brings to herself and the world. She’s dedicating more of her private time to being able to study and control her magic and has limited her use of it a ton. It’s also made her more hesitant to use it in even the most dire circumstances that she may come across in order not to release something horrible again to the world.
Allow No One to Witness Your Weakness
With her constant troubled history, Abigail isn’t inclined to share much of it as it gets to her at the worst of times. Keeping her secrets and feelings stuck in her head, she tries her hardest to not let anyone on the truth of her fragile interior. She portrays a cold person in order to try and mute her emotions to make sure she doesn’t let down anyone.
- Dropped out of high school after mental and physical stress.
- Ran away from home at the age of 22. Joined the US Military Police.
- Honorable discharge after serving her 8 years.
- Made friends with Chris and Jaime, working together a while on small cases to help people who would hire them.
- Jaime Reynolds – Retainer and old group partner
- Nagao ‘Nezumi’ Aiko – Former friend/colleague
- Anni ‘Dimma’ Kristensen – Rival and colleague
- Nate ‘Ace’ Earley – Friend
- Chris ‘Moros’ O’Dowd – Long time friend and old group partner
- Luisa Azzara – Secret Relationship, Contractor
While you were working a job, an unsettling event occurred which you could explain. When you investigated further, you found no evidence anything had occurred. What were you looking into? Has anything occured as a result of what you saw?
During one of her jobs, Abigail was in charge of killing and disposing of a certain person. She was only told the time and the location of where they would be. However, when she reached there, she had found that her supposed target was already murdered by someone else. Going away for a bit to report on what happened, the body didn’t seem to be human and all, more so monster. What’s even weirder was that by the time she got back, the corpse already disappeared and everything around it was cleaned up. For the following several weeks to months, she felt uneasy as she was being followed by someone.
You brought on Nate Earley to help you retrieve something of personal importance. What did you offer for this help? Did you succeed?
Through Nate’s connection with the Rainer Club, Abigail was able to sneak in easier with the distraction of her partner, allowing her to retrieve a locket of hers that was dear to her. She pulled it off just in time before they came back, after meeting back up, she would later offer her services for free if Nate so chooses to take her up on the offer.
You sparked a conflict between Nagao ‘Nezumi’ Aiko and the Trinity Sisters, and it’s still not resolved. How do others see you for your involvement?
Working with Aiko for a while, Abigail was initially hired to carry out more difficult problems that the Red Foxes faced but made friends with her and the group really quickly. One mission that she was on required her to carry out an assassination against one of the Trinity Sisters for some area that they held a tight grip in. She escaped after assassinating one of the sisters, not knowing her attempt failed because they were vampires. What happened afterwards was a fight breaking out between the two before they moved their separate ways, not before one of the Trinity sisters themselves decided to go after Abigail to contract her out…