20 May 2016 – 16:30
The afternoon after she found Abigail passed out, Anni approached the Mercer residence – the family was of one of her ‘regulars’, and they were due for a brief visit to see how things were. However, as Anni neared the house, she was interrupted by a homeless man. After addressing her as ‘Ms Kristensen’, the man went on to explain that ‘they’ could be of assistance to Anni, if she returned it in kind.
Their offer was a simple one: retrieve an ancient obsidian idol from St James Cathedral in the city and bring it to West I-90 Lid Park on Mercer Island. In doing so, she would prevent it from falling into the hands of the Leviathan Cult, who would otherwise use it to wake the Leviathan and destroy the city. In return, the man offered to provide Anni with a reliable and trustworthy contact at the Seattle PD.
Meanwhile, across town, Abigail waited impatiently at the local medical client, awaiting treatment for injuries sustained the night before. On a nearby TV, the morning news blared away to anyone that listened, reporting that the Mayor had declared a state of emergency, enforcing mandatory curfews following the recent escalation of violence, and a spate of violence murders across the city the previous evening that left over a hundred dead or missing.
When Abigail was finally called through by a nurse, the woman address Abigail as ‘Ms Thomson’, despite Abigail having used a fake name when she booked herself into the clinic. The woman explained that ‘they’ had been watching her, and that they have a job offer for her: For recovering an old black idol from St Andrews Cathedral, they would provide Abigail with the information she needed to see all changes against her client dismissed. When Abigail asked who the woman was, she replied simply, “We are no one.”
- Abigail. It was a little weird how they knew my name, obviously I didn’t cover my tracks as well as I wanted to so this clinic is no good for memory sake. Apparently they would give me evidence for my client’s innocence if I managed to retrieve some sort of artifact. I knew someone who was good at robberies before so I called them up before the doctor came in.
- Anni. May 20, 2016: A supposed homeless man came up to me offering help in my investigations as well as a new contact in the PD if I would steal a relic from a church to ensure that it would not fall into the fish man cult. They plan to use it to raise the Leviathan. I did not press the issue, as the man was not in control of himself. Begin investigation: “The Puppeteer”. They are powerful with what appears to be a large number of resources.
St James Cathedral
20 May 2016 – 22:00
After accepting their individual offers, Anni contacted Abigail citing that she was ‘may need the help of someone with no moral compass and a propensity for criminal activity’. Abigail then called Chris, a former associate of hers that had experience with B&E, while Anni called Tony for his muscle should things go south. A half-hour later they were standing outside the Cathedral, looking for a way inside.
Moving around to the side of the structure, Chris found a service entrance that, within a few brief moments, granted them access inside.
Abigail and Chris searched the interior of the Cathedral while Anni and Tony stood watch. After searching almost every nook and cranny in the place, Abigail took a second, closer look the central altar. The marble slab was bathed in the cold white light of the moon streaming in from the Oculus Dei, “eye of God,” directly above it. Running her figures over the surface, she found several almost imperceptible seams in the stonework, as almost as if the entire thing could come apart via a mechanism. Unfortunately, it was at this moment she also noticed the motion sensor in the far corner, blinking red as it detected movement within the Cathedral.
Working quickly, Abigail called Chris over to have a look what he could do while she attempted to scope out the rest of the area for clues. Unfortunately Chris, after finding he couldn’t get into the altar using conventional methods, tried unloading a round from his sawn-off shotgun into the solid mass of stone.
In response, Abigail, Anni and Tony came running, but instead of seeing the altar damaged, it was glowing. Then, as the group shouted accusations at once another, the light suddenly exploded outwards, enveloping the mages. The next moment, the four mages found themselves standing in what appeared to be an ancient clearing, an old stone replica of the altar standing in place of the original.
- Abigail. Odd, usually I would come across motion sensors relatively easily. I might be horrible at actually stealing things but noticing security is one that I was good in. It doesn’t help that time messes me up, I feel like I’m lagging and going tiny bits faster in real life too… If I knew Chris would have been like this, I would have never have called him but it’s too late now, we’ll all have to suffer the consequences.
- Anni. 20 May 2016: Tracer brought in a “pro” to help with the theft at the church. They triggered the alarm, and then fired a shotgun to make sure the entire neighborhood knew the place was being robbed. Begin investigation: Tracer. Begin investigation: ‘Chris’. They are both dangerously inept and are probably hurting people.
- Tony. I ain’t one for stealing and shit, but to fire a shotgun in a church? That’s not cool. But first church I saw with a glowing table…better not be cursed.
20 May 2016 – 22:10
Unsure as to what just happened, or where they were, Tony attempted to vent his anger by smashing open the altar. His efforts seemed futile, however, as any and all efforts to damage the stone proved useless.
It was at this point Bear spoke to them, her voice slow and lethargic as if waking from a deep sleep. She confirmed that attempting to break the altar was a wasted effort, and questioned why they had come to this realm – the realm of the spirit.
After explaining the situation with the Leviathan, the cultists, and worms, and everything else that had happened, Bear agreed to grant Anni guardianship of the idol if she could prove herself worthy. Anni spoke from the heart, and with the supporting words of her comrades, convinced Bear that it could trust her with the artefact. With the idol now in hand, Bear returned the four mages to the material world.
- Abigail. It’s interesting how bear spirits exists let alone any sort of spirit, should look into my magic more… Honestly I don’t think anyone in this group is worthy or moral but Anni seemed the most likely so I decided to sheep her to get the artifact to her. I’ll have to figure out some sort of way to steal it from her later but at least we got it for now.
- Anni. 20 May 2016: Of course; some supernatural bear-thing was protecting the relic. Of course; he would only release it to someone who was “worthy”. Of course; I am largely surrounded by amoral psychopaths, so I had to try to talk him into trusting me. I had no choice but to try and focus on what the thing might be wanting to hear. The bear-thing gave me the relic, and now we don’t have to worry about the cult getting it. Begin investigation: Relic/St. James Cathedral. I need to find out why the relic was hidden there, and get any more information on it that I can.
- Tony. The goddamn bear was askin’ for someone worthy or somethin’ but I couldn’t even leave a goddamn mark on the glowing thing. That was humiliating. At least Anni could do it. Always knew she could. Kid’s got heart and brains. Somethin’ I don’t got. Not yet.
20 May 2016 – 22:15
Now that they had retrieved the idol (which, in Anni’s mind, seemed to sing out to her), the mages exited the Cathedral and made their way towards Tony’s pickup. Unfortunately, they were stopped by a large mob of men garbed in thick, concealing clothing and wielding an assortment of weapons. Adding to their appearances, the figures just smelt wrong – a horrible combination of stagnant water and rotting fish. Leading their number was a larger, hunched figure that demanded in a bubbling, sibilant voice that the mages should give the cultist the idol, and then they might just let them live to the next sunrise.
Obviously, against this idea, the mages attacked, and the cultists retaliated in turn. Between the idol’s psychic melody and the swarms of indistinct figures, it all proved too much for Anni, casting her mind back to the endless torture she suffered when she awakened. The young mage exploded with psychokinetic energy, sending allies and enemies alike flying, and even going to far as to force the massive metal doors of the Cathedral from their hinges with a deafening bang.
As his underlings fell, the leader of the mob fled with inhuman speed, but not before Abigail landed a shot and damaged the figure’s shoulder – and in doing so, revealed his horrid, fish-like appearance. Taking the opportunity, the group raced towards Tony’s truck (with Anni leading Tony after he was blinded by the sorcerer’s hex magic).
Letting out a gurgling roar, the sorcerer summoned a monster of water, seaweed, and other debris. As the sorcerer submerged itself within the creature, it gave chase after the truck.
- Abigail. Fish people…never thought I’d ever have to say that in my life but we came across them and started to fight them. Anni went all crazy though and starting to go wild with her magic. I always hated her and there were so many times where I just wanted to completely knock her out or just flat out shoot her but it was a little useful to get rid of the waves of creatures. Having to try and dodge her magic was a pain though and I don’t really trust my own magic. After all the mooks were dead, the leader ran away and hell no I wasn’t letting him get away but my best shot wasn’t even enough to kill him… We had to run though because everyone was so badly messed up and that we couldn’t fight anymore really.
- Anni. 20 May 2016: They were waiting for us outside. 16 fish men and some hunchback in a cloak. I don’t know if I will ever be free of the terrors I experienced. They took hold of me in the melee, and it ended up very messy. This group scares me. They are so completely inept at everything they do. When they do something well, it is usually done by accident. Tracer shot at the hunchback as he ran away, and missed yet again. After the round ricocheted off a couple things it did slam into its shoulder. Better to be lucky, I guess. I don’t know how we are going to survive.
- Tony. Anni, man. One minute she’s all awesome with this big bear, and the next she’s rambling like some nutcase and, like going supernova or somethin’. I mean those fish guys didn’t stand a chance. I was gonna lay the hurt down on their boss guy until he did somethin’ to my eyes. I mean that shit ain’t fair. If you’re gonna act all tough, don’t go cheatin; in a fair fight. Anyway, next thing I know the gang’s all beat up but I don’t remember there being enough fish guys to do that much hurt. I mean Anni messed them all up, right?
The Get Away
20 May 2016 – 22:20
With the rest of his team more or less down for the count, Tony had only himself to rely upon as he sped through the eerily empty streets of the city. While the beast almost caught the vehicle on several occasions, Tony was lucky enough to escape the clutches of the creature. It’s massive form let out one final cry of anguish as its shape shrunk into the distance of Tony’s rearview mirror.
Breathing a sigh of relief, Tony prepared to get the group to some medical attention, only to suddenly find the road consumed by a rolling, crackling darkness that quickly engulfed his vehicle. Unable to see where he was going, Tony swerved, mounted the kerb, and slammed into a tree, flipping the truck on its side in the process.
He regained his senses in time to see Henry Morse taking the idol from Anni’s unmoving form. Accompanying him were dozens of ghosts, their gazes distant as spectral chains hung heavily around their necks, all leading back to the Vice Chancellor. Amongst these ghosts floated Diana, her hollow, emotionless features mirroring the rest of the enslaved shades.
Unaware that Tony was still conscious, Morse turned and vanished back into the bellowing darkness, taking the ghosts with him. When the coast was clear, Tony dragged himself from the wreckage of his truck and, after securing another vehicle, took his companions (including a completely unresponsive Chris) to Salvadore’s, a black market surgeon that worked for the Barsetti Family, to see if he could do something about their conditions…
- Abigail. I don’t remember much… All I heard was that we lost the idol and that we crashed. Tony told us about what he saw and if that’s true then we’ve got one hell of a mission to accomplish… Great, the last thing I want is more injuries than I’ve already sustained…
- Anni. 20 May 2016: That rat bastard.. Just when it seemed we had gotten away, this other asshole appears out of nowhere, crashes the truck and took the relic from me. I will find him, and I will make him regret it. We need that relic kept safe and away from the cults that would abuse its power. The bear-thing entrusted me with that responsible, and I will not be found lacking in my responsibility. Begin investigation: Relic Thief. He took the relic. Just once I would like to know who the enemy is.